I believe that self-care is vital for everyone, and particularly for those of us who take care of others. I know a lot of mothers often wonder how they are supposed to fit self-care in to their already busy day. I know that large pockets of time are not often possible but I want to show you a few ways to integrate small moments of self-care in to your day.
For me, having quick things that I can do that nourish me is a must. As a mother of three I am busy and I cannot always find the time to get a massage, a facial or other things that may take organising a babysitter. I need things that I can do throughout the day to keep me feeling good and better able to deal with the daily parenting challenges like the kids fighting, bedtime struggles, crazy mornings.
Ideas for Self-Care in 15 minutes or less.
- Step outside in to the fresh air – there is something about being outside that makes me feel refreshed and more centred.
- Sit in the sun for five minutes and feel the warmth on your skin.
- Sit in silence on your bed – this one can be hard because as soon as you disappear the children usually follow but it makes a such a difference to just get a few minutes alone. If not your bed maybe the toilet?
- Breathe deeply in to your belly for three to five breaths – this does amazing things for your mind and body.
- Drink you hot drink, holding it with two hands and enjoy it!
- Spend a few minutes in the car alone before you pick up the kids/go in to work/walk in to a crazy house.
- Put your favourite music on. I find this is an instant mood lifter for me and the kids.
- Take a quick hot shower and then use your favourite body lotion.
- Set your alarm for fifteen minutes and have a power nap if you don’t have any children at home to supervise.
- If you have a hobby, take 15 minutes to do it!
- Paint your nails.
- Sit down and eat your lunch rather than grazing throughout the day while doing housework or working.
- Read a book or magazine.
- Go for a walk, pop the kids in the pram or on their bikes and go. Everyone will feel better for it.
- Journaling, colouring, or whichever creative outlet you enjoy.
- Go to be fifteen minutes earlier than normal.
These are just a few ideas of quick things you can to do to take care of YOU! Share with me what you do for quick self care.